Why Is a Dental Crown Needed? A dental crown may be needed for these reasons:
- To protect a weak tooth or hold together parts of a cracked tooth
- To restore a broken tooth or one that has been severely worn down
- To cover a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t much tooth left
- To hold a bridge in place
- To cover teeth that are incorrectly shaped or severely discolored
- To cover an implant
- To fix something cosmetically
- To save a tooth that has been so damaged by decay that it can’t support a filling
Crowns A dental crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that covers the tooth to restore its shape and size, strength, and improve its appearance. Once it is cemented into place, the crown covers the entire visible portion of a tooth.
At The Art of Dentistry and Spa, we use the highest quality all porcelain and tooth colored crowns without the use of any metal, which alleviates that dark metal line at the gums, to address any teeth which require a full coverage crown restoration. We will discuss our recommendations for crowns with you when you come for your visit.