Experiencing jaw pain? You may have a TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) Disorder, a common condition that reduces mobility and causes discomfort around your jaw and face.
TMJ Disorders can be an uncomfortable experience – Thankfully, physical therapy offers a variety of treatments to help you reduce pain and improve mobility! Read on to learn more.
What are the signs of TMJ?
TMJ Disorder symptoms vary from person to person, depending on severity. Some of the most common signs include:
- Locking in the jaw
- Pain in jaw and surrounding muscles
- Pain around ear
- Sounds from the joint such as clicking
Physical Therapy Treatments
TMJ Disorder symptoms can be disruptive to your daily life, but you don’t have to put up with them on your own!
Physical therapy offers a variety of treatment options to help you live a more comfortable and pain-free life. Some PT treatments include:
- Manual therapy and massages to improve movement: To relax muscles, promote better movement in the jaw, and improve joint flexibility.
- Exercise guidance: Your PT may teach you exercises that you can perform that are beneficial for jaw mobility and proper alignment. They may also reduce pain.
- Posture improvement: Incorrect posture may make your TMD worse. Your PT will evaluate you and provide exercises and guidance to improve your posture.
- Other treatments: Treatments such as ultrasounds may be used for improved mobility and pain reduction.
TMD Treatment at The Art of Dentistry & Spa
Our Physical Therapist, a TMD treatment expert, is here to help you live life comfortably again! We’ll always make your comfort and recovery our top priorities throughout treatment.
Schedule your appointment today by calling us at (732) 846-7100 or filling out our online form. We look forward to meeting you!